Friday, March 7, 2014

From the Crucifix to the Cross

Text: Psalms 51

Have you no hope?
  • Almost every year as part of my Lenten fast I wear a cross that looks like a crucifix
  • One “forward speaking” Brethren lady confronted me about my cross one day.
  • She said: “Pastor Phil, have you no hope?”
  • I was confused until she explained to me that Jesus was not on the cross anymore.
  • He rose from the dead and our hope is in the resurrection.
  • I thought about that for a while.
  • This particular crucifix held significance for me because of where it came from and I didn't feel like giving it up.
  • As I thought about it, I realized something:
    • The hope the empty cross affords is meaningless without the crucifix cross.
    • The Crucifix is another visual reminder of what we celebrate when we celebrate the Bread and Cup.
  • One cannot have a resurrection without a death.
  • One cannot have Easter without Good Friday.
So the purpose of Ash Wednesday is to prepare us for Lenten sacrifice, whatever it is, in preparation for the celebration of Easter.
I don't believe in shame based salvation, but I do understand that sin exists.
It is obvious when one comprehends that there is evil in this world.
King David, who wrote this Psalm committed murder and adultery.
The Prophet of God risked his life, stood before him and yelled out about his sin: “You are the man!”
Before that, David was secure in his getting away with his sin.
It is almost as if the Prophet was saying to him: Have you no Shame?
  • Adam and Eve sinned and it wasn't until then that they were aware that they were naked.
  • Our sin is before us.
  • It was the cause of Jesus death.
  • At NYC one year, one of the most profound messages ever preached had no words.
  • Paul Grout, an artist assembled a wooden crucifix in front of the crowd.
  • As the wooden mallet was driving the wooden stakes into the wooden hands of the wooden Jesus, the sound echoed the abuse perpetrated against Jesus.
  • (create the sound)
  • NYC has small groups for the youth.
  • The next day, a young woman broke into tears as she realized what Jesus did for her.
Praise God the cross is empty, but the empty cross has no meaning without the Crucifix.
Salvation no real meaning without an appreciation of our own sins.
So, I invite you to participate in the lenten season in one, or two ways, it is totally your choice whether you choose to participate at all.
The second part will be to abstain from something during this time.
  • One friend of mine, who is very devout always chooses to fast watermelon.
  • He believes that it is more internal than external.
  • One year, I fasted my leisure by taking on a responsibility that my wife always does, I think it was cleaning the cat litter box.
  • One year, it was television.
  • One year, chocolate.
  • It can be anything, but it is good if it is a daily thing in order to remind you to take time to pray.
  • Here is a good one, hold up devotional and fast the leisure time
The Second is these ashes
  • The sign of the cross on your forehead
  • The symbol of the ashes is a form of OT repentance where they would dress in sack cloth and cover their heads with ashes.
  • We have provided for you strips of sack cloth to place on your shoulder.
  • And ashes for your forehead.
  • Don't wash them off with water, use cooking oil.

Ashes optional, use oil to clean them.

No comments:

Post a Comment