Sunday, June 1, 2014

Finished and Done

Focus: Jesus' works
Function: To help people see how God sealed us for salvation.
Form: GOK

Intro: I was president of the local toastmasters club for a while and one thing I learned with them is that good speaking requires the speaker to develop a rapport with the audience.
And you all make it easy. I get good visual feedback and participation from you. You make my job easy, so thank you.
But one thing I notice, and this isn't a bad thing, it probably has more to do with me than with you is that when I try to switch into teaching mode, people's eyes just sort of glaze over.
Now, almost every lesson that Jesus taught, He taught through a story. Stories capture the imagination and give the audience the opportunity to think and more importantly, discover truth through the thought process.
I like them because I don't have to tell you: “you must believe a, b and c in order to be a Christian.” You get to figure out it out for yourselves. Jesus complimented His audiences by using stories instead of lectures.
However, some lessons require the lecture. Sometimes, the preacher must step back from the story and explain the theology behind the story. Sometimes we switch to classroom mode and have to listen to a lecture.
Unfortunately, that is what I need to do this morning in order to get the message across.
But don't worry. It is really short. As a matter of fact, it is so short, that I can spend the first page and a half telling you how short it is going to be.
I remember one Sunday, the text had three doctrinal points that needed to be said and needed to be said together.
So, I thought it would be clever to teach one point and then sing a hymn to spoke to that point, move to the second point, sing a second hymn, and then do the third point and end the service with a hymn that reiterated the third point. I thought I was clever.
And one deacon, he was mad. Now the service ended at the same time, but with his finger in my face, he said: “you don't have to preach the next two weeks because you stuck us with three sermons this week!”
I was shocked.
So, what is so important that it needs to be mentioned quickly and with emphasis.
Finished and done.
Or, Finished and Finished.
I love all that goes into Jesus' statement on the Cross: “It is finished.” John 19:30
The ransom is paid. The price for our salvation is complete. Jesus' work on behalf of humanity is done.
What does this finished mean?
It means that every time Satan reminds me of my failures, the forgiveness and penalty for them is already done.
It is finished.
There is nothing we can do to make it more complete.
Although the more we are forgiven, the more we love Jesus. But loving Jesus more does not mean we are more forgiven. (Luke 7:47) It is finished.
But there is another finished statement in this passage.
Vs 4: I have brought you glory on this earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.”
Jesus said He was finished before He said it on the cross.
He finished twice. Both have two completely different meanings.
His reference here in John 17:4 is the reference to finishing His teaching mission on behalf of God.
Vs 8: I have given them Your words and they have accepted them.
But He wasn't done.
The God part of God/Man was finished.
But the man part of God/Man still had the cross to go through.
He taught us well. And now He is going to save us.
So, Finished and finished.
But I like finished and done.
Because this passage tells both stories.
Chapter 17 is referred to as “The High Priestly Prayer” of Jesus.
This prayer is the prayer for us that promises the Holy Spirit will come, how the Holy Spirit will guide us. This prayer is a blessing for all believers everywhere.
It is a blessing that God will always, always be there to lead and guide us.
He finished the work and it is done. And now, we are sealed by God by Jesus work for us.
So, we are completely forgiven by the cross. And because of that, we have been sealed to God against the day of judgment. (1 Timothy 1:12)
So, as we move into the bread and cup portion of this ceremony, let us remember that this is the promise to seal us completely by God's hand for eternity.

It is finished and done. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment