Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Power of the Cross


Focus: The Cross
Function: To reveal the compelling power of the cross.
Form: Story Telling

Intro:
Most of us are aware of the study going on during Study Hour about understanding the mission of the Church in the 21st Century and the changes in perception since 9/11.
There is a graph on the wall that is quite relevant. It comes from what appears to be a study that Brother Mike Fletcher took you through. Good stuff. When I was interviewing here, I saw those posters and realized that God was laying a good foundation for our congregation.
I mean, adding to the sound foundation that you have already started.
On the graph there are 2 letters that represent churches with vision as a priority and churches with administration as priority.
As I was looking at it last week, I realized something about myself.
And that will introduce the main point of the sermon. The main point is overcoming the temptation to solve the problems of culture, the church and the world without the significance of the cross.
The Cross of Christ is powerful.
And when I considered those two letters last week, I realized something about myself.
I enjoy visionary leading. It excites and energizes me.
And that fits because tasks of administration are not my favorite. Kathy, on the other hand, loves to manage. That is why we have such a great marriage.
But I realized something about myself that I am not to proud of. (Sorry for ending on a preposition, but I like it, and if I were in charge of the English language, it would be acceptable.)
Here is what I realized. That during times of either conflict, struggle or insecurity, I switch away from my default mode of trying to cast vision to doing basic administrative tasks.
During those times I am very careful to cross my t's and dot my i's.
In a very real sense, it is a temptation to forgo faith in what God is doing and place my trust in human ability.
But you see, without the Spirit of God at work, without the divine, without the power of God behind us, the Church is simply another institution.
And that is the temptation that Jesus is facing at this time.
My muse, Byron Flynderson finds a significance in the approach of the Greeks.
This is prophecy fulfilled.
Jesus, who came to the lost sheep of the house of Israel is now being sought out by Gentiles and others.
His ministry is expanding. His circle of influence is growing. It appears that everything that He and the disciples have been working for is coming to fruition.
There is a whole sermon, a whole series of sermons in the request of these Greeks: “Sir, we want to see Jesus!”
It is good preaching stuff.
The desire to know God is wonderful!
But look at the odd response of Jesus.
It appears that He does not answer the request at all. We don't know if they saw Him. Given the inclusive nature of Jesus, my guess is that they did.
But Jesus turns the request into something much different.
Let me re-read Jesus odd answer:
23Jesus answered them, “The hour has now come for the Son of Man to receive great glory. 24I am telling you the truth: a grain of wheat remains no more than a single grain unless it is dropped into the ground and dies. If it does die, then it produces many grains.
25Those who love their own life will lose it; those who hate their own life in this world will keep it for life eternal. 26Whoever wants to serve me must follow me, so that my servant will be with me where I am. And my Father will honor anyone who serves me.
27“Now my heart is troubled—and what shall I say? Shall I say, ‘Father, do not let this hour come upon me’? But that is why I came—so that I might go through this hour of suffering. 28Father, bring glory to your name!”
Why would Jesus answer the request to be seen by Gentiles with a lament about His immediate future.
My muse points out that perhaps this is again another temptation to take matters into His own hands without dependence of God.
His fame and popularity is spreading and again a chance to be the Messiah without the cross is presenting itself to Jesus.
We are familiar with the events in the Garden of Gethsemane when again Jesus wrestles with the terrible events that are about to transpire and the spiritual and eternal fate of all of humanity rest in that moment.
And Jesus says, then, as He does now: Nevertheless, God, Let Your will be done, not mine.
I have often considered that moment and just exactly what was hanging in the balance.
Jesus, the divine Lord of Salvation was faced with the temptation to forgo His destiny and instead of an act of self-preservation, one that no one would blame Him for, He chooses the cross.
I notice a change in Jesus demeanor at about this point in all the gospel accounts.
As the cross is approaching, its significance and terror are weighing on Him with a bigger and bigger burden.
Listen to Luke 9:51As the time drew near when Jesus would be taken up to heaven, he made up his mind and set out on his way to Jerusalem.
I like the King James: “He set His face toward Jerusalem.”
The passage exposes the act of the will, the knowledge of the impending sacrifice, the personal choice of Jesus to be the atoning sacrifice for us.
And because of that burden, His answer to Philip about the foreigners who want to see Jesus is a reminder of the terrible purpose for which He is born.
And I love how God helps Him during these difficult times.
It reminds me that we too, are not alone.
During this prayer time, in front of the disciples God answers Him again from heaven.
And Jesus understands the significance of this temptation to find another way.
He knows His purpose.
And it is obvious that He knows something that we did not yet know.
I can't quite put a finger on it because I am not God and don't ever plan to be.
But Jesus speaks of the great cosmic battle between good and evil and tells us that this is necessary in order for the powers of evil to be judged and to lose their power.
I believe that God could have thrown them down without the terrible sacrifice that God made for us.
But for some reason, it wasn't His plan.
His plan was the cross.
His plan was the power of the cross.
Now we believe that because of the cross we have victory over sin, the temptation to sin and even death itself.
It is a mystery that even the angels did not yet understand.
But Jesus knew it and even though the temptation was to forgo the plan and trust in human ability and power, He choose the cross.
He knew something that we did not yet understand.
We read it in verse 32: 32When I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to me.
It is the power of the cross, the power of self-denial, the power of living for and loving others that builds the Kingdom of Heaven here and now.
He calls us to it in verse 25: 25Those who love their own life will lose it; those who hate their own life in this world will keep it for life eternal.
But we must remember that it is in His power that this happens.
Remember the preacher who is often tempted to rely on himself in times of struggle?
He, me, is missing the point of the power.
Brother Flynderson says it this way:
Every believer, every minister and congregation, is tempted to realize the kingdom of God apart from the cross of Christ. Although the gospel is the "power of God unto salvation" we are constantly tempted to win the world by evangelistic methodologies, group dynamics, management systems, institutional agendas and the like, as if there is a better way, a more effective way than the cross. The message of the cross, by itself, seems ineffective, weak and foolish, and so needs our marketing initiatives. Yet, it is not the dynamic welcoming congregation that draws people into the kingdom, but rather the Son of Man lifted up.
I thank God for Lent, each year, every year. It often reminds me to go back to the basics and place my faith in the God who created His Church, the Kingdom of Heaven here and now.
Let us relish in the power of the cross knowing that the message of Jesus sacrificial love for all of humanity is the power of God to change and transform the world.
And here is where I want to respond. I notice that whether or not Jesus is basking in the glory of human acceptance and glory, or, if Jesus is silently contemplating the pain of His mission, the pain of His struggle, the sacrifice that He is about to make.
He continually keeps His mind focused on God.
Because this prayer focuses us on God's power and not our own. Because this prayer focuses us on God and not ourselves, I think a good answer is to respond with the prayer of St. Francis of Assisi. #733 in our Hymnal.

No comments:

Post a Comment