Sunday, July 10, 2016

Carry The Light


Focus: The Light of God
Function: to help people see the mystery in our spirituality
Form: GOK

Intro:
From AC
There is the light of creation on the first day, but the Sun and Moon were not created until the 4th day. Now, it is still problematic as to how the plants began the process of growing before the Sun and Moon, but the idea is an important concept.
The light of Social Justice
The Light of Salvation.
The Light at the end (the same as the beginning).


1). Stand in Solidarity with those under attack.
During the Holocaust the King of Denmark wore the Jewish star of David.
In 1933 a cinder block was thrown threw the window of an house with a Menorah. Thousands of Non-Jews displayed Menorah’s. At first the vandalism intensified, but then the solidarity brought it to an halt.
Every Time I visit the Holocaust Museum, I leave in agony wondering how and why this could have happened in modern times.
And yet, the rhetoric that fueled it is ginned up today.
How do we stand in Solidarity with the Black Man?
How do we stand in Solidarity with the Muslim?
How do we stand in Solidarity with the Peace officer?
How do we stand in Solidarity with those neighbors who are called “illegal?”
How do we stand in Solidarity with those who were formerly incarcerated?
How do we stand in Solidarity with those gender identity causes them to be ridiculed and marginalized?
How do we stand in Solidarity with those who deeply held religious beliefs are held in suspicion by others?
I know this, unless we stand in Solidarity, then we will be guilty of the same.
2). Love the Person Consumed by Hatred.
Let me quote directly from the Article:
If we really want to be agents of transformation we have to go farther. We have to learn to love the person consumed by hatred.
Let me state the obvious: anyone who has to attack another in order to feel right about him or herself has no clue who and what they truly are. They do not know they are expressions of the Source of All Being. They do not know they were born worthy. They do not know their goodness is and always has been a given.
They believe instead that their worth and their power arise from their ability to dominate or even destroy another. Blinded to their own divine nature, they cannot see the divine nature of those around them. Oblivious to the reality of oneness, they do not comprehend that when they attack another it is themselves they attack.
As healers, our task is to witness to the truth of who they are. We don’t condone their actions or defend their ignorance, but we hold to the truth of what they cannot see: that in their essence they are whole, and far more beautiful than they imagine.
3). Heal Your Own Mind
Our Light shines in the darkness.
The Light Shines in the darkness and the darkness can not understand it.
We need to come to our own place of healing in God.
I have been on a journey and no matter where I stand, I have been a voice.
I worried how I was going to interact with my friends at AC since a lot of what comes from my own voice has changed.
At the Congregational Life Ministries dinner, one of our Staff members handed me a card with the prayer of St Francis of Assisi.
Lord,” it begins, “Make me an instrument of your peace...”
We faced a rather volatile conference and all of a sudden, my mission, “to help my more conservative friends see how God changed my opinion of Same Sex marriage” was changed to the theme of the conference, as I took it from my Siser, to be an instrument of Christ’s peace and to carry the Light of Christ.
And then I came home and saw what appears to be an over-reaction fear based killing of a black man and then another. God, I realized, my concern for my problems are nothing. People are dying in the streets.
At AC, I heard reports from a BLM organizer who spoke on and on about non-violent Christian witness to the problems we are facing.
And then the killing of Police officers happened.
And I realized that we need help, desperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment