Sunday, October 30, 2016

Justice Revival


Focus: Justice as a form of worship
Function: to give a passion for doing justice
Form: Bible Study

Intro: In order to justify the enslavement of people as a Christian nation, from the pulpits in European and American churches from the 16th to the 21st century, although very few today, those voices are still heard shouting out that white means right because if one is righteous, then one is made whiter than snow. Sadly, I wish I was making this up, but that is the history of slavery, racism and America’s original sin.
And yet, I only heard about this since I began studying God’s Word to seek out the meaning of this healing, this salvation, that God gives to humanity.
I heard it in Haiti at a conference for clergy that I was helping to lead and a young, black, Haitian pastor began to explain the history of racism and oppression that was Haiti before the slave revolution. I heard the history without the white colored lenses through which we have heard the history of slavery. It was terrible how religion was used to dehumanize an entire race of people and then enslave them. It is downright embarrassing and a thing that I bear some responsibility in just for the fact that I am from that race and that religion.
He was telling us in this sort of chant, it was a slow cadence like I was in a Stephen King movie, the chant was like their own version of Halloween, or their own bogey man story about how the demons are after them. Their peril came from the color of their skin. They are black, made black by the curse of Canaan, and the only way they can be safe here on earth and gain eternal life was by faithfully serving the white man.
All of it was based on this scripture “white as snow.” The idea was logically made that if white was pure, black was opposite and therefore evil.
It was merely a way to enslave an entire people.
I mention that I never heard that until I was in my 30’s and conducting a seminar in Haiti.
Up until then my memory of this verse: Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow with two things.
It never says that black is evil. The “Whiter than snow” phrase is a metaphor about purity and the entire Psalm is about forgiveness, repentance and salvation.
There was the hymn (sing) “whiter than snow, Lord, yes whiter than snow, now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.”
I love that hymn. It is a lullaby tune that called up a sort of infantile scene of a newborn baby that is absolutely pure and without blemish.
I remember I used to change up the words just a little bit and instead of singing (sing) “now wash me,” I would change it to Christ in the vocative and make the chorus a prayer by singing (sing) “Lord, please wash me and I shall be...”
The Bible says to remember the joy of our salvation, to remember with joy the fact that God has both healed and accepted us into God’s family.
When I sing that hymn, I remember that brand new experience of being washed, cleansed, restored and accepted into God’s family.
The song reminds us of God’s mercy towards us.
Most often, when I heard those words about being washed and cleansed, it reminded me of my shame, of my own youthful thought life, of those areas that I hoped no one would ever know about me.
I remember my Spiritual formation professor in Seminary leading us in a guided meditation, he told us to imagine the place, or places, in our lives that of which we are the most ashamed. He asked us to ponder if there was or is a place that we want no one to know about, that maybe we are terrified to admit is within us.
And then he told us to imagine Jesus Christ Himself at this place... ...with His arms open... ...loving us in the midst of our brokenness and understanding the power of human weakness.
I heard some pretty scary sermons in my day about my own ability to sin and how important it was for me to be careful and if I really admitted it, I was just might be that bad.
But none of that changed the truth that even if my sins were red as scarlet, an image of the evil of actually shedding innocent blood, and that is consistent with the context of the text, even if my sins are damning my soul, through repentance, healing and salvation will come.
The sermons were given in good intention, but I often wondered why there was so much left out of the text.
We read those first few verses and the very first words the jump out to the casual reader of the Bible is the mention of Sodom and Gomorrah.
What is the first thing we think of when we hear Sodom and Gomorrah? The first thing we think of is that they are the symbol of sexual impurity.
I have heard a lot of sermon about Sodom and Gomorrah, God’s judgment. I have heard a lot of sermons about my sins being, -well the color “red” as crimson got changed often to black, but those sins mainly pertained to my ability to control my sexual purity.
And you know the story, Lot was living in the city of Sodom, angels came to visit his house, the people were so evil that they wanted rape the angels, God stuck them blind, the angels drug Lot, his wife, and his two daughters out of town right before God destroyed them with a volcano.
And because of that, homosexual men have been condemned as the cause of God’s judgment on a city.
A dire warning comes from this passage indeed and I submit that it is a dire warning for 21st Century America as well.
From verses 11-15a, the prophet describes God’s attitude about their insincere worship because their hands have innocent blood on them.
Listen to those words (Read)
11What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices?
says the
Lord;
I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
and the fat of fed beasts;
I do not delight in the blood of bulls,
or of lambs, or of goats.
12When you come to appear before me,
who asked this from your hand?
Trample my courts no more;
13bringing offerings is futile;
incense is an abomination to me.
New moon and sabbath and calling of convocation—
I cannot endure solemn assemblies with iniquity.
14Your new moons and your appointed festivals
my soul hates; they have become a burden to me,
I am weary of bearing them.
15When you stretch out your hands,
I will hide my eyes from you; even though you make many prayers,
God is displeased with their worship services and although they are trying, God is not in the mood to listen because of their sins.
This is indeed great preaching material.
And then at the end of verse 15, we read why God is displeased:
I will not listen; your hands are full of blood.
Sodom and Gomorrah are mentioned, but not in context of the sexual violence that occurred right before their destruction, but in the context of the other time they are mentioned by a different prophet.
Look at Ezekiel 16:49:49This was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy.
And here is how we know this.
The passage is about God’s displeasure with God’s people because of the injustices going on in their land.
Isaiah is reminding the people that Sodom and Gomorrah were not condemned because of the sexual predation, they were condemned because of the way they permitted injustices to happen.
This was something that the even the common folks in Israel knew hundreds of years later.
And yet today, the wrong idea is perpetrated about the reason for this judgment. I wonder if it is because we ourselves are to close to the Sodomites, and not because of the Supreme Court’s decision, but because we too have “excess of food, prosperous ease and lack of concern for the refugee, the illegal, the minority, the oppressed, the poor, the needy and everyone else who is marginalized.”
This is what God cares about and every student of scripture knows this.
And so, God gives them the formula for repentance in next verses:
I love the way it starts in verse 16. It goes back to that heartfelt prayer of forgiveness, healing and salvation from that lullaby: “Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.”
Here the words:16Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean;
But O how I long to have heard the rest of verse 16 and 17 as what it means for us to repent.
I heard how my imperfect thought life was going to take me straight to hell and there wasn’t really much I could do about it except pray harder, read more of my bible, spend more time at youth group, pray some more, read some more and if that didn’t work, then it had to be my fault, I just wasn’t being honest with God.
But the passage says it differently. Hear these words, they are a lot easier than beating oneself up for not being perfect. Here the word of the Lord: 16bremove the evil of your doings from before my eyes; cease to do evil,
Remove evil.
Focus on the word evil. Evil is not a white lie told to cover someone else’s feelings. Evil is wickedness. If we want revival, then we need to be concerned about the big things, the big evil things that destroy others, planets, ecologies, economies, homes, families, cities, nations and humanity.
When we see evil, we remove it. Do we want revival, then we do our part to remove the evil that we see happening in our lives.
And just like the prophet is getting warmed up, he moves on to verse 17: 17learn to do good;
seek justice, rescue the oppressed,
defend the orphan, plead for the widow.
Learn, seek, rescue, defend, plead and don’t quit, don’t shut up, don’t stop and don’t lose hope.
We are the kingdom of God here on earth and this is what God’s people do.
Seek good and do it, that is what it means to love God.
I love this form of repentance, I love this form of revival. We want revival to come, then see to the doing of justice. Make justice a mission in your life, and you will indeed be repentant.
Listen, by doing this, we combat the evil that is prevalent in our world.
(pray) Lord, give us a revival of justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment