Saturday, November 29, 2014

Allowing Hope


Focus: Hope
Function: To help people prepare to let hope into them.
Form: Storytelling

Intro:
From the end of the Advent reading, Isaiah 64:8But you are our father, Lord. We are like clay, and you are like the potter. You created us, 9so do not be too angry with us or hold our sins against us forever. We are your people; be merciful to us.
Have you ever felt like that?
I hope not.
But I confess, sometimes I do.
And it is pride.
It's just that I just wish I was perfect.
Then, I would never have to say that I am sorry.
Or, I would never embarrass myself.
And the worse thing is this, I wonder, I hope it isn't true, but I wonder, do I want to save myself?
Or, do I trust Jesus? Do I believe in the hope that grace gives?
I am glad I was raised in a Christian home.
The Christian values I learned were not the values of the empire, but the good news of God's love for all of humanity.
Like most of you, we were taught that true greatness comes from serving others.
We had this little song that was taught to us little ones. It went like this: “Jesus, Others and You, what a wonderful way to spell joy.”
That message was constantly drilled into us. And I am so grateful that I saw my parents, especially my dad, live that message before us.”
And God is always stretching our minds, changing us, making that circle of who really is our neighbor bigger and bigger.
As we grow, we learn that it is the whole wide world. AMEN?
One event of my dad's willingness to change his mind at the leading of the Holy Spirit happened when I was 12.
We were on the way to our Church's Annual Conference in Estes Park, Colorado.
It was a camping trip that involved setting up and tearing down the family tent every single night.
It was fun.
And somewhere, In Cheyenne Wyoming we set up camp at this roadside park.
While we were eating dinner, for lack of better terms to identify them, two “hippie chicks” wandered into our campsite and asked us for a ride to the next town.
Now, although I grew up in an inner city, “hippies” were the bane of culture.
My uncle once gave me a sermon, 45 minutes, about how Rock and Roll music, and the hippie culture, were a communist plot to undermine America.
So, although my dad was gracious and loving, giving these two girls a ride was a big bi--iig stretch for him.
Sunday morning, we went to church at some little country church in the middle of nowhere.
I think I remember that sermon verbatim.
The preacher preached on loving your neighbor as yourself.
He told the story of how he was driving down the road and he saw that some cows had gotten out of their fence and were wandering on the road.
He told us how he ignored them as “not his problem.”
He told us the farther he drove down the road, the more and more he was convicted by the Holy Spirit to turn around, find the cows owners' and help them get them back.
I remember the humor when he told us that resisting the leading of the Holy Spirit cost him an additional 25 miles and he wished he was sensitive at the first twinge of conscience, not the last!
It wasn't really a profound message. It was just a good reminder of who and what we are as Christians. The pastor focused on the sin of seeing good, and not doing it.
And during dinner, at the campsite, the two hippie chicks came back to the campsite. They were persistent. And much to my mother's chagrin, and of course, my 16 year old elder brother and me and my twins delight. We helped them and their big dog down road a few hundred miles.
Who knows? They may have been angels in disguise.
So why do we at times turn our heads and pretend that we just didn't see the problem?
Do we not know that God knows when we turn our heads?
And worse than that for me, is the constant fear that I have turned my head to many times.
For me, more than the times I turn my head, it is the fear that I have turned my head one to many times.
Fear does not come from God.
Let me read those last two verses of our first passage again: Isaiah 64:8But you are our father, Lord. We are like clay, and you are like the potter. You created us, 9so do not be too angry with us or hold our sins against us forever. We are your people; be merciful to us.
Isn't that a great comfort?
Isn't that a great hope?
Isn't it wonderful that God loves, encourages and enables us in spite of the fact that sometimes we may have failed?
I wonder why I have this propensity to shame myself for my failures?
Well, that might be something between me and my therapist.
And that leads us to the beginning of the Isaiah passage this morning.
Isaiah writes about God's great power.
Isaiah believes.
He too, wonders why people are so quick to forget what God said.
So, he starts out with the wish that God would reveal God's power with tremendous power so that there would be no doubt that God has both the power and authority to speak and people will stop doing evil toward others.
Isaiah is zealous for God.
He is zealous for the job God has called him to do -to proclaim God's love and justice to Israel, Judah and all the nations of the world, both then, and now, recorded in scripture.
I wonder if he is questioning God.
It is like he is saying: “God, wouldn't it be easier for us preachers if you just did some really mighty things?... ...Then we wouldn't have to work so hard to defend you?”
Like me, he questions. He doesn't seem to always understand the plan of God and God's ways.
Well, God is God and we are not. (look up) Thank you, God.
Why, or maybe better question, HOW God “shows up” is what we see in today's second reading from the Psalms.
The Psalmist leads us to hope.
Here some phrases from this Psalm:
Verse 1, Psalm 80: “Listen to us... ...Hear us... O Shepherd, O leader...”
...reveal yourself... ...show us strength... ...save us!”
And then, three times he repeats this theme in his prayer to God, the leader, the shepherd
Bring us back...”
Bring us back...”
Bring us back...”
Say it with me: “Bring us back!”
It is a prayer, “God, Bring us back.” And as God the Shepherd: “Bring us back to safety.”
And then twice, “Show us mercy...”
Show us mercy.
Isn't that hope?
Both the Psalmist and Isaiah make a common confession to God: “We are broken and we need restored.”
Bring us back, God.
Show us mercy, God.
So, how do we get from the question: “Well God, if you just showed up and did some fantastic miracles, then no one would have an excuse to doubt, would they? Why don't you do that?”
And I see the answer in the Psalm:
Lead us. Guide us, Bring us back, Have mercy”
All of those are addressed to the Shepherd. All of those are addressed to the perfect loving heavenly parent.
All of those are addressed to God.
God has shown us God's great power.
But it wasn't mountain smashing, flashes of lightning, earthquakes in various places, Armageddon type spectacles.
Nope. Instead, the great miracle, the great power, the great bridging of the gap between God and creation came in Christ.
God became human.
God lived and dwelt among us.
God showed us by Jesus' life how to live and how to die.
On the first Christmas, a thrill of hope sparked.
A weary world rejoiced. God, the Shepherd came to us to heal our brokenness.

No comments:

Post a Comment