Saturday, November 1, 2014

Who do we follow?


Focus: Humility
Function: To help people see we all need grace.
Form:

Intro: There are two parts to this passage. The one is used to introduce the other.
We get a good idea of Jesus' relationship to the Law of Moses when He tells His listeners that we should do what they say, but not what they do.
I guess, the whole idea of hypocrites keeping people from God's family is nothing new!
Grace abounds everywhere.
This first part of the passage gives us an insight into the purpose of the Law of God.
The second part, gives us an insight into God's grace. I love grace!
And to me, there is really only one adequate response to grace. I mean, besides gratitude. But out of that springs, for me, an overwhelming reminder to keep myself humble.
And that seems to be what Jesus is focusing on. He is focusing on us keeping our eyes on Him.
So, let us start with the first part. The purpose of the Law.
Look again at verse 4:
4They tie onto people's backs loads that are heavy and hard to carry, yet they aren't willing even to lift a finger to help them carry those loads.
This is qualified in the statement that Jesus has just told them to listen to those guys, but don't emulate them.
So why would He say, listen or obey them if they are not credible?
Well, just because nobody is perfect, it doesn't mean that everything about them is bad.
I had a dear friend, a mentor one day do something odd. I was visiting him at his shop. He always had Christian radio on, but on this one day, it was off. He told me: “I believe that if a person is speaking for God, then everything they say is correct. And I heard something on this station by one of the preachers that I disagreed with and realized that I cannot listen to any of it. So, I flipped it off.”
My response was Hmmpf.
I hope nobody holds me to that kind of standard of perfection.
Because I promise you that I will fail you. Never intentionally, but only God is perfect.
Now this guy was an incredible blessing to me. At times, the wisdom that came from him seemed almost divine. I believe that he had the spiritual gift of “words of wisdom.”
But like me. He wasn't perfect. However, he was sincere.
According to Galatians 3:24, the intent of the law was to be a tutor, a guide, an instructor. It is there to lead us to Christ Jesus. It helps us see that we fall short.
I try to make it easier by saying that the Law is a guideline to show us how to love each other, as Galatians 5:14 tells us.
Loving each other is God's ultimate purpose for us.
If someone ask me what my definition of sin is, I give them a simple and practical answer: “Sin anything that keeps us from loving God or our neighbor.”
The Pharisees were placing this heavy burden on people that no one could endure. We had to save ourselves by perfection.
They were making the law an end unto itself.
That was not the purpose.
The law, points us to Christ Jesus. The law points us to our Savior.
And the Lord draws us back to His presence, to freedom. Listen to these words from The Message, 1 Corinthians 3:17-18: 17-18They suddenly recognize that God is a living, personal presence, not a piece of chiseled stone. And when God is personally present, a living Spirit, that old, constricting legislation is recognized as obsolete. We’re free of it! All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face. And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him.
They placed a burden on their shoulders, but didn't point them to freedom from the heavy weight.
And it wasn't just the Jewish leaders during the time when Jesus walked the earth.
But later on, in the epistles, some people got confused by legalism.
So again, in the book of Galatians, 5:1 we read the words “It was for Freedom that Christ set us free. Therefore, do not be subject to a yoke of slavery again.
Jesus set us free!
Jesus lifted the burden of guilt and shame.
Jesus has given us new, renewed hope.
Praise God!
The lifting of the burden is grace. The lifting of the burden is forgiveness.
So, Jesus' teaching serves us as a caution.
What burden are we picking up?
Are we letting someone weigh us down?
How do we avoid the trap?
That is the second part of this passage.
I can sum it up simply: Keep your eyes focused on Jesus.
Jesus condemns illegitimate spiritual authority.
He gives us an idea of how we can tell.
Illegitimate authority likes to Lord over its power and position.
It exists for the purpose of power, not for servanthood.
He decries their pompous positioning. He decries their attitude of superiority.
He exposes their arrogance.
And the key has to do with one simple attitude given in verse 11: “The greatest among you must be your servant.”
Here is why this mentor of mine, though not perfect was so profound.
He owned a garage. He was a mechanic. He didn't have power or influence. He worked hard, honestly with his hands and he was always helpful.
There were times in the middle of the night while I was trying to fix my own car that I called him and he never complained, but patiently gave me advice on what I might be doing wrong.
He was a servant.
He was a servant leader.
He never claimed authority, it just came to him.
So Jesus speaks about the importance of the body of Christ.
One, Jesus is the leader. And we are all His students. The exact words are “you are all equal...”
I love that statement.
We believe in the priesthood of all believers.
We believe that authority rests in the hands of God, not a person.
I love the beginning of the Church of the Brethren.
Alexander Mack was the leader. At the time, believers baptism was illegal. But they saw it as biblical and they defied the state and decided to be baptized. So, they drew lots to see who would baptize Alexander Mack.
And they did this because they believe in the priesthood of all believers.
We are all equal.
We keep our eyes focused on Jesus.
Jesus set us free from the burden of trying to be perfect.
Jesus set us free from the pride of self-righteousness.
Jesus set us free from the burden of shame.
Jesus set us free from the burden of performance.
Jesus set us free to love each other with a pure heart.
Jesus set us free to bring us back into God's family, whole, healed and restored.
This leads us to grace and humility.
And, as the Scripture says: It is all from God.
And if it is all from Him, then there is no place for pride.
But the lesson I learn is one of gratitude that leads us toward humility because God is the one who gives to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment