Saturday, August 27, 2011

I Am Isaiah

Text: Isaiah 58
Focus: Justice for others
Function: To Help People see what God says about how we treat the poor
Form:  Dramatic Narrative

Intro: 

Today, I am going to do a drama in order to help us visualize God's Word.

Today, I am the prophet Isaiah and I am trying to recreate the events and thoughts on the Prophet Isaiah's mind when God gives to him the prophecy recorded in Chapter 58. So bear with me.

A little background:
Isaiah the prophet actually had two roles. He was prophet to Judah during a time of prosperity that was close to the prosperity of Solomon. And, he was also pastor to 4 kings. The most famous of which was Hezekiah. Hezekiah was faithful. Maybe even more faithful than David in the way that he did away with idolatry in the land. Because of his faith, God did some pretty big miracles.

So today, I am taking on three roles, over here, I will be the pastor, praying for the King and asking God to help me lead him

And over here, I will be the PROPHET speaking the Word of God.

And at a few times, I will be the voice of God speaking to Isaiah.

Now remember, when the prophets spoke, they don't prepare a sermon, they just wait until the Holy Spirit fills him up then blurt out what God is saying through Him.

And one other thing, almost all of what I am saying, when I am over here on the Prophet side is taken directly from the Bible, Isaiah 58.

(Isaiah in in prayer and he feels like God isn't really connecting with him. Pray on knees)
Isaiah as a pastor: God, are you there? God, it seems like it has been a long time since you have spoken to me! Have I offended you?

I don't know if you are listening, but last night, King Hezekiah came to me with three of his officials. The King is afraid also. He wonders why you haven't given him a message for quite a while. He asked me to remind you that he has been very faithful.

He is thankful that you have blessed him just like you blessed his Grandfather, King David.

He reminded me that in one night, you made us very wealthy. In one night, we were very weak. And when the enemy was camped around Jerusalem, and we didn't have enough soldiers to seat 100 horses and the enemy had an army of 185,000 people, in that same night, you fought on our behalf. The entire force that was encamped against Jerusalem died suddenly in the night.

The next day we carried away the loot that they took from many nations. And now, we are a great, and powerful people. You alone have made us prosper.

God we know that you helped us because we refused to trust in idols.

But now, these last few years, the King is concerned.

It seems as if a revival started and then fizzled out. The revival that should be happening has stopped. We want to know why.

Even though you did such a great miracle, and the people remember it, some of them mock you. No one comes to Church faithfully. Everyone is more concerned about themselves.

People are becoming more and more sinful. The King believes in you. But we need a revival.

God. I am concerned as well. Where is the revival?

God. Are you there?

(the prophet slips into a fitful rest)

Voice of God: “Isaiah. Wake UP!”

Go to the king and tell him that this is what is wrong.

Tell him that for right now, his prayers won't get off the ground.


(ISAIAH walks to the King.)

King. God spoke to me last night and this is what God said. Isaiah 58: 1-3"Shout! A full-throated shout! Hold nothing back—a trumpet-blast shout!

Tell my people what's wrong with their lives,
    face my family Jacob with their sins!

So King: Listen to what God has to say:
You people are busy, busy, busy at worship,
    and love studying all about me.

To all appearances you are a nation of right-living people—
    You appear to be law-abiding, God-honoring..
And you are asking me “What's the right thing to do?”

Listen my people:
You love having me on your side, and I am.
But my people, you also complain,
You say:
God, 'Why do we fast and you don't look our way? God,
    `Why do we humble ourselves and you don't even notice?' God.
Don't you notice how religious we are? God, when we praise you, we feel close to you. We are inspired. You know we love you.
My people: Thank you for your prayers and humility, but let me explain something. I am always honored by your praises. But love for me, without love for others means little to me.
3-5Here's why is why your prayers are not reaching me as they should. Your religious practices are more for a show than they are for the things that make me happy. For example:
"The bottom line on your 'fast days' is profit!
    You drive your employees much too hard.
    You fast, but at the same time you bicker and fight.
    You fast, but you swing a mean fist.
The kind of fasting you do
    won't get your prayers off the ground.
Do you think this is the kind of fast day I'm after:     a day to show off humility?
To put on a pious long face
    and parade around solemnly in black?
Do you call that fasting,
    a fast day that I, God, would like?

(The prophet goes back to his room to study and pray.)

Okay, God. I think they understood that there is something missing. But I am not sure they have a handle on what it is.
Can you help me help them figure it out?
Wouldn't it be easier if you just made it very clear. You have made it clear what is wrong, can you make it clear what is right?

(VOICE OF GOD) Isaiah, go back tomorrow to the King and tell him this. Shout it out again.

King Hezekiah: This is what God says to you:
I told you that your fast was merely a show. I told you what was wrong with it. Now I will tell you the kind of fast that pleases me:
6-9"This is the kind of fast day I'm after:
    to break the chains of injustice,
    get rid of exploitation in the workplace,
    free the oppressed,
    cancel debts.
What I'm interested in seeing you do is:
    sharing your food with the hungry,
    inviting the homeless poor into your homes,     putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad,
    being available to your own families.
Do this and the lights will turn on,
    and your lives will turn around at once.
Your righteousness will pave your way.
    The God of glory will secure your passage.
Then when you pray, God will answer.
    You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.'

(Isaiah as pastor)
Oh God. Thank you for that promise that when we cry out for help, immediately, your answer will be “here I AM”
But God. We have about the best worship of you since the time of King David. Asaph, the leader of our music department at temple is writing Psalms just like King David did. God, look into his heart. He is a man who loves you. And when he sings, we get caught up.
Why isn't that enough?
If we forgive debts won't we encourage laziness? IF we invite the homeless into our homes, won't they stink up the place?
Why isn't our great Sabbath celebrations enough?
King Hezekiah is frustrated. He believes that his willingness to go beyond even David's faithfulness in getting rid of idolatry would be proof.

THE VOICE OF GOD ANSWERS. “Isaiah, go back to the King and explain a little bit more. I can't give it to him all at once. He has to think about it.

(Isaiah as Prophet) King Hezekiah. Yes, God is pleased with your faithfulness. But God wants to remind you that He loves everyone.
Don't you remember your ancestor Abraham, when he spoke to me right before I destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah? Abraham knew me. Abraham knew that I am completely fair and I care for everyone. I did not destroy those two cites until I removed Lot and his daughters from the place.
Since I am fair, Hezekiah, I want you to know just how I feel about everyone, not just the prosperous and powerful.
Listen, take a step in faith and trust me to meet your needs when you give yourself to others.
I promise you: When you follow me, you will have: A Full Life in the Emptiest of Places. Listen to me says the Lord. Hezekiah, you are the king and justice belongs to you. So:
9-12"If you get rid of unfair practices,
    if you quit blaming victims, and the poor for the troubles
    If you quit gossiping about other people's sins,
If you are generous with the hungry
    and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out,
Your lives will begin to glow in the darkness,
    your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight.
I will always show you where to go.
    I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places—
    firm muscles, strong bones.
You'll be like a well-watered garden,
    a gurgling spring that never runs dry.
You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew,
    rebuild the foundations from out of your past.
You'll be known as those who can fix anything,
    restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate,
    make the community livable again.
The revival that you long for will come when you live by faith and give yourselves to others.

(Isaiah goes back to prayer)
God, help me out here. I am not only a prophet, but I am a friend of King Hezekiah. I am his pastor as well. When I am in his presence, and your Holy Spirit takes over, I don't know what I am going to say. It is you speaking through me. But then I remember what you say through these lips, and sometimes I have a hard time figuring it out myself.
Are you actually saying that revival is not about worship practices as much as it is about the way we care for the least of these in our land?
Hezekiah is afraid that you are displeased with his worship. Is that true? Does it count for anything? What should I tell him?
I am going back to rest. And I am waiting on you for an answer. (Isaiah rests)

VOICE OF GOD: Isaiah, wake up! Keep reminding them that love for me is important. And then tell them that I want them to love everyone else as well. Love for me includes sacrificial love for others.
Isaiah, you remember what I told you back in chapter 6 when I said that I will love among them and be called Immanuel, God with people.
You remember what I said in chapter53 when I explain to them that I am Jesus, the Savior and I will wipe away all of their sins.

You remember again in chapter 55 when I promise them mercy and grace without limit, mercy and grace that is free to them, just like it was in the wilderness.

Remember the Manna? The energetic gathered lots of manna, but ended up with only one quart, and those who were not as energetic gathered less manna and still ended up with just a quart. I give to everyone.
Isaiah, keep reminding them of my mercy. And warn them of their pride. People, when they do well, stop thanking God for blessing. They start trusting in themselves. They always blame me for problems, and praise themselves for prosperity. But I am the one who gives strength and luck to the prosperous. Sometimes, they become stingy. That is why I told you to tell Hezekiah to stop accusing the poor of being lazy. Sometimes, that is just a smokescreen used to justify greed. The man or woman who loves me will not turn their heads away when they see a homeless person. So go back to the King. And I will be your voice again.


(Isaiah as prophet) King Hezekiah, Listen to the word of the Lord. God indeed loves the love you show for Him. He is glad that you stand for His Word and that you Stand against idols, but listen to what God says about Worship:
13-14"If you watch your step on the Sabbath
    and don't use my holy day for personal advantage,
If you treat the Sabbath as a day of joy,
    God's holy day as a celebration,
If you honor it by refusing 'business as usual,'
    making money, running here and there—
Then you'll be free to enjoy God!
    Oh, I'll make you ride high and soar above it all.
I'll make you feast on the inheritance of your ancestor Jacob."
    Yes! God says so!
Hezekiah, I am God and I give to my beloved even in their sleep. Don't worry about what it costs to be generous. I promise you, when I come to earth as Jesus the Nazarene, I will again preach this message. I will proclaim that the more we give, the more I will give back to you. So trust me. Ensure that everyone prospers, and I will bless you without ever stopping. Hezekiah, you are king, this is your job.

CONCL:

Prayer (Lord, help us love the least of these)

No comments:

Post a Comment